Programs, events, and web-based tools to interest students in exploring math, engineering, science, and technology related to transportation.
This free two-week summer day camp at the University of Minnesota introduces students in grades 7–9 to the many aspects of the transportation field.
The Minnesota Local Road Research Board has sponsored a website for kids to describe 9 different disciplines within civil engineering. The site also features a brief animated video titled Careers in Civil Engineering.
K-12 Lesson PlansOur K-12 lesson plans seek to provide educators with tools and interactive activities that enrich students’ learning of transportation-related topics.
- Spaghetti Bridge Building
- Wooden Bridge Building
- Wooden Bridge Building Lesson Plan (1.5 MB PDF)
- Wooden Bridge Building Student Checklist (176 KB PDF)
- Detailed Wooden Bridge Building Instructions for Teachers (520 KB PDF)
K-12 Games and Curricula
- Driver Distraction curriculum
- Traffic Engineering curriculum
- Additional K-12 lesson plans from the Roadway Safety Institute